Gluten-free pizza rolls are a fun snack that the whole family can enjoy.
Whether you are celiac or prefer to eat gluten-free, these tasty pizza bites are a must-try.
In this guide, we will share our recipe for gluten-free pizza rolls and some tips and tricks for making them perfect every time.
So, look no further! Because we’ve got you covered with this recipe for homemade gluten-free pizza rolls that are tasty and easy to make.
Here's What's In Store For You...
Gluten-Free Pizza Rolls Recipe
The first step in making gluten-free pizza rolls is to make the pizza dough.
We recommend using a gluten-free flour blend that contains xanthan gum to help the dough hold together.
Here is our recipe for gluten-free pizza dough:
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Pizza Rolls
To make the perfect gluten-free pizza rolls, you will need the following ingredients:
- Gluten-free flour blend (5-13 oz)
- Baking powder (1-4 tsp)
- Xanthan gum (1-2 tsp)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Olive oil (2 tbsp)
- Warm water (1 cup)
- Tomato sauce (1 cup)
- Mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
- Favorite pizza toppings (pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, etc.)
Step 1 Making the Gluten-Free Pizza Dough
- Combine gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add some olive oil and warm water and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until it becomes smooth.
- Roll dough into a rectangle shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
Step 2 Making the Pizza Rolls
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the pizza dough, leaving about 1/2 inch around the edges.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and your favorite pizza toppings over the sauce.
- Carefully roll the pizza roll dough into a log shape, starting from the long edge.
- Use a sharp knife or pizza wheel to cut the log into 1-inch slices.
- Place the pizza rolls on the prepared baking sheet and brush with an egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pizza rolls are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Optional: Air Fryer Method
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the pizza rolls in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
To freeze the pizza rolls, place them in a zip-style freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Place the pizza rolls in an air fryer or preheated oven at 375°F until heated through to reheat.
Get creative with your pizza roll fillings!
Try adding cooked and crumbled sausage, diced bell peppers, or sliced mushrooms to the mix.
- Serving size: 1 pizza roll
- Calories: 140
- Total fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 330mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 18g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Gluten-Free Pizza Rolls Tips and Tricks
- If the dough is too sticky, add more flour blend.
- For a dairy-free option, use dairy-free cheese.
- Freeze pizza rolls for a fun snack later. Store in a zip-style freezer bag.
- Use a knife or your pizza wheel to cut cooled pizza rolls.
- Experiment with different fillings to keep things interesting.
Pizza sauce is a key ingredient in making delicious homemade pizza rolls.
Many gluten-free pizza sauce options are available in the market, such as Rao’s Homemade Pizza Sauce, Classico Sauce, and Muir Glen Organic Sauce.
You can also make your own pizza sauce at home by blending canned tomatoes, garlic, salt, and herbs like oregano and basil.
Here is a simple recipe for making pizza sauce:
- 1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Use a spoon to taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Let the sauce cool to room temperature before using it on your pizza.
Gluten-Free Pizza Rolls Brands
If you’re in a hurry or feel like you need to make homemade gluten-free pizza rolls, there are several brands available in the market that offer ready-to-eat options.
Here are some popular gluten-free pizza roll brands you can try:
1) Totino’s Pizza Rolls:
Totino’s offers a gluten-free version of their classic pizza rolls in various flavors, including pepperoni, triple cheese, and combination.
2) Amy’s Kitchen:
Amy’s Kitchen is a well-known brand that produces a wide range of organic and gluten-free foods, including pizza rolls.
Gluten-free pizza rolls are made with non-GMO ingredients and come in a convenient resealable bag.
Udi’s is a popular brand that produces various gluten-free products, including frozen pizza rolls.
Their pizza rolls are made with a gluten-free flour blend and come in a variety of flavors, including pepperoni and three cheese.
Annie’s Homegrown offers gluten-free mini pizza bagels perfect for a quick snack or party appetizer.
5) Against the Grain:
Against the Grain produces gluten-free tasty pizza rolls that are made with only a handful of simple ingredients, including tapioca starch, mozzarella cheese, and tomato sauce.
They can be cooked in the oven or air fryer for a delicious and convenient snack.
6) Three Bridges:
Three Bridges is a company that produces a variety of gluten-free frozen foods, including pizza bites that can be easily cooked in the oven or air fryer.
7) Simple Mills:
Simple Mills produces a range of gluten-free products made with simple, whole-food ingredients.
Their pizza rolls are made with almond flour and cassava flour and are free from grains, dairy, and soy.
These are just a few brands that make gluten-free pizza rolls.
Remember that even though these brands are gluten-free, they may still contain other allergens, such as dairy or soy, so ensure you read the ingredients carefully before purchasing.
In conclusion, making gluten-free pizza rolls at home is easy and delicious.
By following this recipe, you can enjoy a tasty snack without sacrificing your gluten-free diet.
These savory rolls filled with tomato sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings are perfect for an after-school snack or a game-day appetizer.
So, why not give it a try today and impress your whole family with your cooking skills?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are pizza rolls gluten-free?
There are some gluten-free pizza rolls available in the market, but not all pizza rolls are gluten-free. It is important to carefully check the packaging and ingredients list before purchasing and consuming any pizza rolls, especially if you have a gluten intolerance or allergy. Additionally, you can also make your own gluten-free pizza rolls using gluten-free pizza dough and ingredients.
What dough is gluten-free?
Gluten-free dough is made with alternative flours like rice flour, almond flour, coconut flour, or a blend of gluten-free flours. These flours do not contain gluten, which is the protein found in wheat, barley, and rye that causes an adverse reaction in people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Other ingredients like xanthan gum, psyllium husk, or chia seeds may be added to help bind the dough and give it elasticity, in your gluten free baking.
Are hot pockets gluten free?
Most Hot Pockets contain wheat and are not gluten-free. However, some brands offer gluten-free options. It's always best to check the packaging or contact the manufacturer directly to confirm if a specific Hot Pockets product is gluten-free.
Can I make these pizza rolls dairy-free?
Yes, you can use dairy-free cheese and omit any other dairy ingredients to make these pizza rolls dairy-free.